Nouns derived from verbs
Many of the nouns listed below lose their final 'n' before adding the required suffix.
Suffix:-buri/-büri Function: To form nouns describing the process or aim of the action represented by the verb.
- tesbüri (endurance, patience) < tes- (to endure, to last)
- ekilebüri (beginning) < ekile- (to begin)
- möskibüri (investigation) < möski- (to investigate)
- toγalaburi (counting) < toγala- (to count)
- siidbüri (resolution, decision) < siid- (to decide, to resolve)
Suffix:-ča/-če Function: To from nouns logically related to the action represented by the verb.
- naγalduča (viscosity) < naγaldu- (to stick)
- nögeče (savings) < nöge- (to save money)
- jokiča (suitability) < joki- (to fit, to be suitable)
Suffix:-dal/-del Function: To form abstract ideas or the result of the action represented by the verb.
- asaγudal (question) < asaγu- (to ask)
- surtal (doctrine) < sur- (to learn)
- negüdel (nomadic life) < negü- (to nomadise)
Suffix:-dasun/-desün Function: To form nouns logically related to the action represented by the verb.
- taγaridasun (cutting, clipping) < taγari- (to cut off)
- orkidasun (rubbish, litter, refuse) < orki- (to throw away)
- quiladasun (whirlwind) < quila- (to whirl)
Suffix:-dun/-dün Function: To form nouns designating bodily conditions.
- qaniyadun (cough) < qaniya- (to cough)
- iniyedün (laugh) < iniye- (to laugh)
Suffix:-γ/-g Function: To form nouns designating abstract ideas and the results of actions.
- jarliγ (order, command) < jarla- (to command, to order)
- jiruγ (picture) < jiru- (to paint)
- teleg (thwarts) < tele- (to stretch)
- talarqaγ (friendly, polite) < talarqa- (to be thankful or grateful)
- bičig (letter) < biči- (to write)
- tebegereg (well-fed) < tebegere- (to become vigorous)
Suffix:-γači/-geči Function: To form nouns denoting the names of vocations.
- bičigeči (clerk, writer) < biči- (to write)
- alaγači (killer) < ala- (to kill)
- barilduγači (wrestler) < barildu- (to wrestle)
- buliyalduγači (quarreler, pedant) < buliyaldu- (to dispute, to fuss)
Suffix:-γan/-gen Function: To form nouns logically related to the action represented by the verb.
- barilduγan (wrestling match) < barildu- (to wrestle)
- buliyalduγan (dispute, controversy) < buliyaldu- (to dispute)
- čabčilduγan (mutual slaughter, Pyrrhic victory) < čabčildu- (to hack or chop at each other)
- mörgüldügen (collision) < mörgüldü- (to collide)
- siqačalduγan (crowd, throng) < siqačaldu- (to crowd)
- qaraγan (sight) < qara- (to see)
Suffix:-γasun/-gesün Function: To form nouns denoting the objects undergoing the action of the verb.
- naγasun (glue, paste) < naγa- (to glue or paste)
- siγlaγasun (small stitches) < siγla- (to sew with small stitches)
- nekegesün (knitting) < neke- (to knit)
- nemegesün (addition) < neme- (to add)
Suffix:-γu/-gü Function: To form nouns which designating qualities resulting from the action.
- kömürigü (overturned) < kömüri- (to overturn)
- tarqaγu (scattered) < tarqa- (to scatter)
- qataνu (hard) < qata- (to dry, to become hard)
Suffix:-γul/-gül Function: To form nouns designating the names of occupations in the widest sense of the word as this suffix is also used to describe animals and tools by the activities which most preoccupy them.
- tangnaγul (spy) < tangna- (to reconnoitre)
- qaraγul (watchman) < qara- (to watch, to look)
- čingnaγul (listner) < čingna- (to listen, to eavesdrop)
- tongsiγul (woodpecker) < tongsi- (to knock)
- simegüul (mosquito, gnat) < sime- (to draw liquid into the mouth)
- sirbegül (broom) < sirbe- (to sweep)
- sirgügül (rag, dish rag) < sirgü- (to rub agaisnt something)
- egeregül (spinning-wheel) < egere- (to rotate, to spin)
- γarγaγul (small box for taking out ashes) < γarγa- (to take out)
- qarbuγul (a projectile weapon) < qarbu- (to shoot)
Suffix:-γun/-gün Function: This suffix forms qualities or abstract ideas related to the action of the verb.
- qalaγun (hot) < qala- (to become warm)
- geskegün (thawed) < geske- (to thaw)
Suffix:-γur/-gür Function: To form nouns designatin the names of tools, somewhat like -γul above.
- čarmaγur (snow-shovel) < čarma- (to clear away snow)
- čingnaγur (stethoscope) < čingna- (to listen, to eavesdrop)
- tulγaγur (pillar) < tulγa- (to lay on, to press against)
- γubčiγur (fishing-net) < γubči- (to catch fish with a net)
- ötüčilegür (worming-stick) < ötüčile- (to get rid of worms)
- kerčigür (cleaver) < kerči- (to carve)
Suffix:-γuri/-güri Function: This suffix creates nouns describing the location at which the action of the verb is carried out.
- ejelegüri (kingdom) < ejele- (to occupy, to rule)
- kemjigüri (ruler, measuring device) < kemji- (tp measure)
Suffix:-qulang/-küleng Function: This suffix creates nouns which express abstract ideas logically related to the function of the verb.
- bayasqulang (joy) < bayas- (to be glad)
- umdaγasqulang (thirst) < umdaγas- (to be thirsty)
- sonosqulang (fame, rumour) < sonos- (to hear, to listen)
- ölösküleng (hunger) < ölös- (to starve)
Suffix:-ja/-je Function: To form nouns designating the results of actions.
- olja (booty) < ol- (to find)
Suffix:-l Function: This is a very common suffix for forming nouns from verbs. It creates abstract nouns logically related to the action of the verb.
- ükül (death) < ükü- (to die)
- badairal (swelling) < badaira- (to swell)
- emčilel (medical treatmemt) < emčile- (to treat medically)
- baičaγal (investigation) < baičaγa- (to investigate)
- eleglel (ridicule) < elegle- (to ridicule)
- qairalal (compassion) < qairala- (to have mercy)
- kereglel (necessity) < keregle- (to need)
- maγtal (eulogy) < maγta- (to praise, to eulogise)
- siidkel (decision) < siidke- (to make a decision)
Suffix:-lang/-leng Function: To form nouns designating abstract ideas.
- üküleng (death) < ükü- (to die)
- orčilang (cycle of transmigration) < orči- (to turn around, to revolve)
- jobalang (suffering) < joba- (to suffer)
- jirγalang (happiness) < jirγa- (to be happy)
Suffix:-lγa/-lge Function: Forms nouns describing the process of the verb or ideas closely related with the meaning of the verb.
- takilγ-a (offerings) < taki- (to make an offering)
- idqalγ-a (propaganda) < idqa- (to presuade, to convince)
- barildulγ-a (wrestling) < baildu- (to wrestle)
- neilelge (joining) < neile- (to join)
- samnalγ-a (shearing) < samna- (to shear wool)
- nemelge (addition) < neme- (to add)